OUR CURRICULUM STATEMENT
The opportunities, organisation and provision for the teaching and learning of reading are as follows:
- Shared reading
- Guided reading
- Independent reading
- Phonics – Read Write Inc Phonics
- Resources – Read Write Inc books, or book banded reading scheme (Oxford Reading Tree) that operates to Level 20. Children are also free to choose from a wide range of texts. Reading materials include fiction and nonfiction, comics, annuals, digital texts, audio texts. Every classroom has a well-stocked reading area.
- Links to parents – Each child has a reading record book which logs books they have read and comments about their reading. Parents and teaching staff write in this book.
- Class books: Stories are read to the children on a daily basis throughout the school.
- Reading at home: Children are expected to read/share books at home every day.
- We use Read Write Inc. Phonics to teach the children phonics. Parent videos are available here. For further information you can also view:
Ruth Miskin Parents’ Page: https://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/find-out-more/parents/
Ruth Miskin You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDe74j1F52zSCiOMSn3zQDSzgu9TrbQ1c
Ruth Miskin Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/miskin.education
Free e-books for home reading: http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/Reading/
Here at Aveley Primary School we provide a creative curriculum based around the Cornerstones Curriculum, a nationally recognised approach for delivering outstanding learning opportunities for children. This incorporates the foundation subjects and science.